A Simple Solution for a Difficult Situation, e-CON
e-CON is an emergency contraceptive Pill which protects from accidental pregnancy. When taken within 120 hours of unprotected sex, it is effective in preventing such pregnancies. The two pills inside the pack can be consumed at once or the second pill can be taken at an interval of 12 hrs of 12 hrs after the first pill.
e-CON consists of two tablets which contains Levonorgestrel B.P. 0.75 mg each. e-CON is sold for Rs 80 per cycle . Nepal CRS Company launched the product on June 10, 2009.
- e-CON doesnot prevent from diseases like HIV and STI. To prevent such diseases Condoms like Dhaal and Panther must be used.
- e-CON is an Emergency Contraceptive Pill and not recommended for regular use.
How does unsafe sexual contact occur?
- When a contraceptive method is not used during sex. A method might not have been available, an available method simply was not used, or the women might have been a victim of rape.
- When contraceptives are not used correctly, for example:
- If the woman forgets to take pills continuously for 3 days
- Delay in receiving Depo (DMPA) more than 14 days
- Miscalculation of safe days
- Ejaculation within vagina
- When Family Planning methods fail, for example, condom slips, breaks, or leaks
How does ECP work?
ECP works primarily by preventing or delaying the release of eggs from the ovaries (ovulation). They do not work if a woman is pregnant.
How effective is ECP?
ECP is more effective the sooner it is used. Time between unprotected sex and taking the pills decreases the effectiveness. The method has some effect for 5 days after unprotected sex, before a fertilized egg implants in the uterus. For a woman who has unsafe sex within the second and third week of her menstruation, using an Emergency Contraceptive (e-CON) has 99% effectiveness.
Is there any side effects?
Some users report the following:
- Changes in bleeding pattern including
- Slight irregular bleeding
- Monthly bleeding that starts earlier or later than expected
- In the week after taking ECPs
- Abdominal pain
- Breast tenderness